Skip to main content
State of Vermont Judiciary
Court Information
Judicial Community
Legal Information
Contact Us
Public Education
Representing Yourself
State of Vermont Judiciary > Court Information > Civil Division


Civil Division

Frequently Asked Questions

expand  Small Claims
expand  Notary Public
You may apply at the Vermont Superior Court in the county in which you reside. Notaries public serve four year terms; the current term ends February 10, 2011. The fee is $30.00
expand  Passports/Visa
Please click here to find out how to file a passport.
For expedite information or any other questions, please contact your county Superior Court.
expand  eCabinet-Technical
expand  Small Claims
Only claims for monetary damages not exceeding $5,000.00 (i.e., claims for the price of goods sold, money lent, rent in arrears, etc.) may be filed in small claims court.
You can sue for up to $5,000.00 in small claims court.  If you think someone owes you more than $5,000.00, you can sue in superior court, but the procedure in superior court is more complicated, time-consuming and expensive (you will probably need a lawyer).  If your claim is for more than $5,000.00, but you decide to sue in small claims court anyway, you will give up your claim to any amount in excess of $5,000.00 (exclusive of court costs).  Even so, it may well be worth your while to choose small claims court because it is less expensive and less complex than superior court.   
A claim in excess of the $5,000.00 statutory limit may not be split into two or more claims.
The amount you sue for should include both the actual damage done to you or your property plus any additional money lost as a result of the actions of the party you are suing.  For example, if someone ran into your car and did $200.00 worth of damage, and you had to rent a car for $40.00 while yours was being repaired, you should sue for $240.00.  At the hearing, you must be able to prove all damages and expenses claimed in order to recover this total amount from the other party.
expand  Passports/Visa
expand  Small Claims
You do not need a lawyer.  Of course, if you wish, you may have one.  The papers you file and the procedures used at the hearing are simple and don’t involve many of the legal technicalities used in other courts. You can argue your side of the case in your own words and present evidence to back it up.  By filing in small claims court, you as plaintiff give up your right to a jury trial.
Small claims court is a special part of the Vermont Superior Court, and you are required to sue in the court in the county where you reside or the county where the defendant resides.  Under Rule of Small Claims Procedure 2(b), the Court has the authority to change the location of the case to a place in which either party resides.
expand  Miscellaneous
expand  Passports/Visa
Passport applications may be obtained at Vermont Superior Courts (County Courthouses, except Grand Isle, Orleans, Windsor and Windham). You will also need:
A certified copy of your birth certificate; it must include:
  - A raised seal;
  - A signature from the town clerk’s office;
  - The date the certificate was filed with the town clerk.
Two passport photographs (some counties take passport photos)
expand  Small Claims
Windsor Civil Courthouse