There are many reasons why you might want to check someone's criminal record. For example, when you hire, loan, or rent property. You may also have personal reasons.


The Difference Between a Criminal Record Check and a Request for Access to a Court Record

Requesting a criminal record means you are seeking information about all criminal cases relating to a particular person. Requesting access to a court record is a request to review a single case file.


How to Request Access to a Court Record

The Requests for Access to Court Records web page provides information about reviewing a single case file or requesting copies of a case file.


How to Request a Criminal Record Check

The Judiciary is unable to provide a statewide search.

  • You will need to submit a criminal record check request in each county where you believe charges were filed.
  • If the case originated in one court but was later transferred to another, you will need to submit your request to the court to which it was transferred.
  • If you are interested in learning whether records exist statewide, or in multiple counties, you will need to submit a record request in each of those counties.
  • Results will not include any out-of-state records.

Request a criminal record check by fill out a Criminal Record Check Request and Reply form (200-000331). You can find the form at the bottom of this web page. 

  • You don't need to know the case numbers (sometimes called docket numbers).
  • You will need to provide the name and date of birth of the person whose record you are checking.
  • There is a cost for each record check. Please refer to the form for instructions and information about the cost.

You can bring the form to criminal court or you can submit it by mail. If by mail, you will need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope along with proper payment

It may take the court staff up to three business days to complete the search. Please note this means three days from the date the court receives your request, not three days from the time you mailed it.

If you would like to receive the results of the search by fax, please include a fax number on the form.


Public Access Terminals at the Courthouse

In most courts, you can use a public access terminal (PAT) to conduct the criminal record check yourself. You can search by case number or party name. There is no charge to use the PAT, but there is a charge for printing. Contact the courthouse to ask if they have a PAT. 


The Vermont Judiciary is not allowed to release information about certain criminal cases, such as cases that have been sealed or expunged. Please refer to the Rules of Public Access for further information.

The Judiciary does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the record search or the information provided. The Vermont Judiciary accepts no liability for any injury or damage sustained by any person or entity that relies on the record search or information provided.