A transcript is a written account of what was said during a trial or other hearing in a trial court or before an agency. The transcript is made from the recording of the hearing.

The transcript of what happened in the trial court or agency helps the Supreme Court decide the issues you are raising on appeal. For appeals from boards or agencies, you must order or obtain the transcript from that board or agency and according to its rules.

For appeals from superior court decisions, the following information applies. You order the written transcript through a court-appointed vendor. In some cases you can order the audio recording of a hearing instead of a transcript. In limited cases you may qualify to have the transcript made without cost to you.

Is a Transcript Necessary?

The transcript is necessary when what was said at the trial court is important or relevant to the issues on appeal. If you think an error was made at trial or at a hearing, then the Supreme Court needs the transcript to decide if the trial court’s decision should be changed.

If you do not order a transcript and the transcript was necessary to decide an issue, the Supreme Court may affirm (uphold) the trial court’s decision. The court will not consider your arguments about any issue that requires a transcript for informed review unless you have ordered the transcript.

Who Must Order

The person who appeals a decision (the appellant) is responsible for ordering a transcript.

Failure to properly order the transcript or pay the appropriate deposit may result in dismissal of your Supreme Court appeal.

When to Order Transcripts

For most appeals, the person appealing must order transcripts within 14 days after filing the notice of appeal. If you do not need transcripts, you must file a statement with the Supreme Court that no transcripts are necessary.

For bail appeals or appeals in cases of child abuse, child neglect, or termination of parental rights, the person appealing must order the transcript at the same time the notice of appeal is filed.

How to Order Transcripts
  • You must order transcripts from the court-appointed vendor.
  • You must send a copy of the transcript order form to all parties.
  • You must pay the correct deposits when you order the transcript.

To order a transcript, use the online order form or contact them by email, phone, or mail:

Email: VTtranscripts@escribers.net
Phone: 800-257-0885
Mail: eScribers
7227 North 16th Street, Suite 207
Phoenix, AZ 85020
Timing and Pricing

Turn around time for an
electronic transcript

Price per page

30 days


14 days


7 days


3 days


1 day


Copy (at a later date)


Printed Transcript Add

90¢ per page

Media copy only (per hearing)


You will need to pay a deposit of up to 75% of the anticipated total cost of the completed transcript at the time you place the order. If you can't afford the transcript, you may have other options, as outlined below.

Paying for and Alternatives to Transcripts

The state will not necessarily cover the costs of the transcript even if you can't afford them. The state will pay for the transcript only if your case involves a constitutional liberty interest (such as a possible jail sentence or involuntary confinement) or in child abuse and neglect proceedings. The state will not pay for your transcript in a non-criminal case such as a divorce or a landlord-tenant dispute.

If you can't afford a transcript, there are a couple of potential options:


Audio Recording

You can ask to have the audio recording used instead of ordering a written transcript. To ask the Supreme Court to use the audio recording:

  • You must qualify for a waiver of filing fees and service costs. See the Application to Waive Filing Fees and Service Costs web page for the application form. 
  • There must be a digital audio recording.
  • The total length of the proceeding must be under 4 hours.
  • You must file a motion with the Supreme Court. You may use the Appellate Motion form (800-00004) at the bottom of this page.


Production of Transcript Without Payment

In exceptional cases you can ask to have a transcript made without cost to you. To apply:

  • You must qualify to waive filing fees and service costs. See the Application to Waive Filing Fees and Service Costs web page for the application form. 
  • You must not be eligible for state payment of transcripts.
  • You must not qualify to use the audio recording.
  • You must file a motion with the Supreme Court and state the hearing dates, hours to be transcribed, and issues that require a transcript. You may use the Appellate Motion form (800-00004) at the bottom of this page.
  • You must attach a copy of the order on appeal.