Find Information About

Access and Resource Center

The Access and Resource Center (ARC) is an office of the courts offering these free services for people who don't have an attorney:

  • Information about court processes.
  • Help with court forms.
  • Information about ways to get the help of an attorney.
  • Public computers for court-related use.
  • Workstation to attend remote hearings.

Free interpreter services are available. Staff do not provide legal advice. 



Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (except state and federal holidays)


Asking to Waive Filing Fees and Service Costs

Most initial court filings and requests for relief require a filing fee. The court has an Application to Waive Filing Fees and Service Costs, sometimes called an Application to Proceed In Forma Pauperis, that you can file if you feel you cannot afford the fees.

Filing Procedures

"Filing" means to give documents for a case to the court. You can bring or mail the documents to the court, file by email, or file documents electronically (e-file).

Finding Legal Help

You have the right to represent yourself in court. Many people represent themselves because they believe they can't afford an attorney, or because they think they can handle their case on their own.

A person handling their own court case without an attorney is sometimes called a "self-represented litigant" or "pro se litigant" (pronounced pro say). Pro se is Latin for "in one's own behalf." 

Even if you plan to represent yourself, it is a good idea to talk to an attorney. The Finding Legal Help web page provides information about the ways you can find legal help and information. 

Going to Court

This page provides general information about how to get ready for your court hearing, and what to expect on your hearing day. 

Asking to Reschedule a Court Date

The court gives parties advance notice of the date and time of your hearing or trial. Do not miss the hearing. The court may rule against the parties who are not at the hearing.  If you miss a hearing or trial in a criminal case, the court may issue an arrest warrant.

If you need to reschedule a hearing or trial, you must make the request in writing.

Access to Case Information Online

You can use the Public Portal to access case records.

Anonymous users can see the case summary and limited information about civil and judicial bureau cases. Anonymous users can't see the documents filed in a case.

Parties in a case with elevated access can access information in civil, criminal, family, judicial bureau, probate, and supreme court cases they are associated with. Parties must register for an account and then request elevated access. Once approved, they can see the case summary, scheduled hearings, and the documents filed in their case.

Requesting elevated access
Only parties in a case may request elevated access.

Step 1: Register for a Public Portal account.

Step 2: Complete and submit the E-Services Request for Case Party formIf you do not know your case number, contact the Information Center: 802-652-1900.

Step 3: Request "Elevated Access" in your case:

  • Log in to the Public Portal
  • Click the down arrow beside the person icon in the top right corner
  • Select 'Request Access'
  • Choose your role
  • Complete the form and submit 

You will receive an email when your request for elevated access is approved. This could take several days. 

See the Public Portal User Guide for more information.

Requesting Copies of Court Records

To request a copies of court records, fill out the Request for Access to Court Record form and send it to the court where the case was filed.

You will find information about the process and the request form on the Request for Access to Court Records web page

Getting a Marriage License

Town clerks issue marriage licenses in Vermont. You may get a license from any town or city clerk in the state.