What is the status of jury trials in Vermont?
Jury trials have restarted in Vermont after having been suspended in March 2020 because of COVID-19.
What steps are the Vermont Courts taking to create a safe environment in the courthouse?
Since the onset of the pandemic, the Judiciary has employed a variety of COVID-19 related precautions including, but not limited to, the following:
- Court staff screen all people who enter the courthouse for COVID-19 by asking about symptoms.
- All courthouses have undergone or are undergoing an inspection of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems to ensure they provide adequate air circulation.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the courthouse and the courtrooms.
- Courtrooms are cleaned regularly.
Will I be able to let the court know if I feel I cannot participate in jury service?
Yes. Please submit your request in one of the following ways:
- On the Jury online questionnaire, select “Request Schedule Change” on the dashboard. See the back of your jury summons for directions.
- Email Jury Administration at email@example.com
- Fax Jury Administration at (802) 651-1959
- Write your request on page 4 of the jury questionnaire in the additional comments section or in a separate letter which you can attach to the paper questionnaire. A written request can be sent to the following address:
Jury Administration Office
Vermont Superior court
32 Cherry Street, Suite 350
Burlington, VT 05401-7305
Will I be required to wear a mask?
Masks are recommended but not required in courthouses. Judges may require masks in their courtrooms, however.
The court will provide a mask to any person who is permitted to be in the courthouse, including a juror.
What do I do if I exhibit symptoms consistent with COVID during jury service?
Please do not report to the courthouse. During juror orientation you will learn whom you should call to report this information and to obtain additional guidance from the court as to how to proceed regarding your jury service.
Where can I ask questions about jury service in general?
For more information about jury service in Vermont generally, please visit the Jurors page. If you are a prospective juror, you can find information for contacting the appropriate court in the materials you receive as part of the summons process. You may also contact Jury Administration by phone at 802-865-5879 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for general information.