Filling out court forms

There are a few options for filling out court forms. You can:

  • Type your information into the fillable PDF.  Print the completed form, or save it as a PDF file.
  • Print the form from the court’s website and fill it out by hand.
  • Get a paper copy of the form from the courthouse and fill it out by hand.
  • If you are asking the court for a Relief from Abuse order for yourself or for yourself and your minor children, you have the option of using the VTCourtForms guided interview.


Filing completed forms

Once you have filled out the forms, you can file them with the court in person, by mail, by email, or using the e-filing system. See the Filing Procedures web page for more information about filing options and requirements.

Tips for using fillable PDF forms

Forms on the Judiciary’s website are fillable PDFs.

  • Download the form to your device first.
  • For best results, open the downloaded form with a PDF program, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. PDFs may also be opened in a web browser.
  • If you’re using a mobile device, use the Acrobat Acrobat Reader Mobile App to open the downloaded document.
  • If you are electronically filing PDFs, there are additional formatting requirements. See the E-Filing section of the Filing Procedures web page for more information.   
  • Save the completed form as soon as you’re done filling it out.

If you don’t follow these steps, what you type in the form may not display or save properly.

There isn’t a form for everything

There isn’t a court form for every situation. If you can’t find a form on the Judiciary’s website, contact the Access and Resource Center. If it exists on the website, they’ll be able to point you to it.

If the Judiciary’s website doesn’t have the form you’re looking for, these are other options:

  • Contact the Community Legal Information Center at the law library of the Vermont Law and Graduate School. They may have generic legal forms you can adapt for your circumstances. Call the Ask a Librarian Line at 802-831-1313 and leave your number and a detailed message, or email, or visit in person.
  • Talk to an attorney. They may be able to draft the form for you, or review a form you have drafted. The Finding Legal Help web page has information about ways to get the help of a Vermont attorney.
Getting help with Vermont court forms

The Access and Resource Center (ARC) can help with Vermont court forms. If you don’t have access to or aren't comfortable using a computer, if you have a disability, if you speak a language other than English, or otherwise would like help with a Vermont court form, ARC staff can help. Free interpreters are available.

    ARC staff can:

    • Help you find court-approved forms. ARC staff can help you find court-approved forms for various legal matters on the court's website.
    • Offer basic guidance. ARC staff can provide general information on how to fill out forms, and explain the purpose of a form. 
    • Check for completeness. ARC staff can review your completed forms and point out places where information is missing.
    • Define terms. ARC staff can provide definitions for legal words.
    • Act as scribes. Scribing means writing down exactly what you say onto a Vermont state court form. ARC staff don't make choices about what you say or how you say it - you do. Scribing:
      • doesn't mean choosing words for you, or telling you what words you should or shouldn’t use.
      • doesn't mean interpreting, summarizing, or guiding you on what to say or how to phrase it.
      • doesn't mean offering suggestions or corrections beyond what you explicitly dictate.

    ARC staff can't:

    • Provide legal advice. ARC staff cannot tell you what to say in court or predict what a judge might decide. If you need legal guidance, consult an attorney.
    • Interpret the law. ARC staff cannot interpret complex legal concepts or statutes. They can’t explain the legal implications of your choices.
    • Predict outcomes. ARC staff cannot predict how a judge will rule on your case. They won’t speculate on the outcome based on your forms.

      See the Help with Court Forms section of the Finding Legal Help web page for more information.

      Common terms used in court forms

      Case number or docket number

      This number is assigned by the court when you file the forms to start the case. Use the case number on all documents and correspondence with the courts.



      The Vermont Superior Courts are divided into several divisions, each focusing on a particular area of law. They are the Civil Division, Criminal Division, Environmental Division, and Family Division, Probate Division.

      The Supreme Court is Vermont's sole appellate court.



      The Vermont Superior Courts are divided into units, which correspond to counties. 


      Plaintiff and Defendant

      The person starting the court case is the plaintiff. The person the case is against is the defendant

      Keep your contact information current

      You must notify the court and the other party – in writing – about any changes to your contact information. If you don’t update your information, you may miss important court notices and other papers.

      You can use the Notice of Name Change or Change of Address (form 600-00846) to update your information any time it changes. You must also send a copy of the completed form to all parties in the case. Fill out and file the Certificate of Service (form 600-00264) to tell the court how you did that. You can find the forms at the bottom of this page.