Relief From Abuse

Vermont law provides protection from abuse in families and other close relationships, including in marriage and civil unions. There is special protection offered by Vermont's Abuse Prevention Act.

The court staff has information about how to request a relief from abuse order and how to contact an abuse prevention worker in your community. You can also connect with a local crisis worker through the Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. The crisis worker can arrange to have someone other than an attorney go with you to court, and they can tell you about services available in your area.

Relief from Abuse, Neglect, Exploitation

The family division provides protection orders against abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults.

To file a request for relief, you can find the forms online or contact your local family division. If you or someone you know needs help, contact Adult Protective Services: (802) 241-0512. More information is also available here.

Stalking and Sexual Assault

If someone is stalking you, you can file a request in the Civil Division for an order to have them stop. You can get such an order in the civil division only if the other person is not a family member or someone you have ever lived with or dated. For family members, people you have lived with, or people you have dated, you must file a request in the Family Division.