Legal name changes are necessary only if you want to change your name through an official court order. For non-legally-binding, day-to-day usage or for changes after marriage, an official court order is often unnecessary. To return to your maiden name, for example, the family division can include the change in the final divorce decree. If you do choose to legally change your name, the process is simple. You must file the petition in your county of residence.

Adult Name Change

If you would like to change your name as an adult, please download the Petition of Adult to Change Name form or pick up a copy at the probate division. You must also file a certified copy of your birth certificate, any marriage certificates, birth certificates for any minor children, and authorization to check the sex offender registry. There is also a filing fee due. After you file, the court will set a hearing date.


Minor Name Change

If the name change is for a minor, please download a copy of the Petition to Change Name of Minor form. You must also file a certified copy of the birth certificate and a filing fee. Once the petition is filed, the court will set a hearing date.

For a minor to obtain a name change, both parents of the minor must consent to the change. The consent form is contained within the Petition to Change Name of Minor. If the parents do not give their consent, the court will set a hearing and notify both parents. The petition must include the name and current address of both biological parents. If the name or address of a noncustodial parent is not available, the petition may be delayed, since you must then demonstrate that you have exercised due diligence in trying to locate that parent.