If you need to correct a certificate of marriage or civil union, you may need to get a court order. You can do this through the probate division using the forms and information below.

As of July 1, 2019, corrections, completions or amendments of a certificate of birth or death must be submitted to the State Registrar’s Office of Vital Records. For the correct forms and information on how to do this please visit the Office of Vital Records’ website. If the Office of Vital Records’ denies your request, you can file an appeal with the probate division. Click here for more information.

Marriage Certificates

To request a correction or delayed marriage certificate, you will need to complete the Petition Correction Marriage Record form:

You must also file a certified copy of the marriage certificate and provide evidence about the correction(s). Possible evidence includes: birth certificate, baptismal certificate, medical records, school records, and/or any other official documents that support the corrections needed. Whenever possible, please file certified copies (with an official signature and raised seal) of all evidentiary documents.

You may mail the petition or deliver it to the probate division. If you mail the petition, please include the filing fee.